APRIL: CalFresh: Better Food for Better Living
CalFresh, California’s name for food stamps or the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), can add to many WIC families’ food budgets and help them put healthy and nutritious food on the table. CalFresh also stimulates our economy & supports communities. FRAC reports that every dollar in SNAP benefits created at least $1.73 in economic activity. And according to USDA research, SNAP reduced child poverty by over 15% from 2000 to 2009. “CalFresh – Better Food for Better Living” helps to highlight it as a health and nutrition program encouraging beneficiaries to purchase a variety of healthy foods in grocery stores and markets.
Click Here for the CalFresh Toolkit!
What Local Agencies Can Do:
- Encourage WIC participants to apply for CalFresh benefits by referring them to the online and in-person resources below.
- Reassure them that chidren born in the U.S. who qualify (based on family income) can get benefits, regardless of where their parents were born.
- Understand some myths & facts about CalFresh so that you can answer participants’ questions.
- Refer to/share the new Eat Fresh website when educating participants about eating healthfully on a limited budget.
- Frequently asked questions about CalFresh
- For participants who prefer to get information by phone, call:
(877) 847-FOOD (3663) or in Spanish (888) 9-COMIDA.
- Outreach materials including flyers, brochures, posters, stickers, bookmarks, web banners, retail slicks
- To reassure noncitizens of their ability to receive CalFresh benefits:
Public Charge information in English, Spanish, and Chinese
To Apply for CalFresh:
- Refer participants to the e-benefits California website, an online resource for Medi-Cal, CMSP, CalFresh, and CalWORKS. It’s an easy way to see if someone is potentially eligible, learn how to apply, and get key information about these benefits.
- In-person application varies by county – click here to find out more.
- Click here for application forms in various languages
HEALTHY FAMILIES...STRONG COMMUNITIES...BRIGHT FUTURES!
CALIFORNIA WIC ASSOCIATION | 3120 FREEBOARD DR. #101 WEST SACRAMENTO, CA 95691 | PHONE: 916-572-0700