Protect Immigrant Families
Families emigrating to the U.S. are experiencing uncertain times on many fronts. The Trump Administration has announced changes to regulations that would expand the public charge test. This test evaluates the likelihood that immigrants will depend on government benefits when they apply for an adjustment of legal status, such as a visa, green card, or legal permanent residency. Although WIC is still exempt, the proposal would expand this test to include SNAP, Section 8 housing, and Medicaid. The rule is expected to be implemented October 15, 2019, and this change stands to harm the food security, healthcare access, and wellbeing of immigrant and mixed-status families.
- CWA Press Release Concerning WIC and Public Charge
- CWA Social Media Messages on Public Charge in: English, Spanish, Arabic, Bengali, Farsi, Hmong, Korean, Punjabi, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Flyer on Public Charge for WIC Clinics and Local Agency Websites in: English, Spanish, Arabic, Bengali, Farsi, Hmong, Korean, Punjabi, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Everyone Is Welcome Here poster (Planned Parenthood WIC)
- Know Your Rights Red Cards – English/Spanish
- We’re Here to Protect You flyers (County of Sonoma): English and Spanish
- WIC Welcomes You posters (Michigan WIC, 2017): English, Spanish, and Arabic
- Tell your story! Send stories about immigrant families who have withdrawn from WIC services due to immigration fears to Sarah at CWA or Brian at NWA.
- Subscribe to CWA’s Flash e-news for further updates.
HEALTHY FAMILIES...STRONG COMMUNITIES...BRIGHT FUTURES!
CALIFORNIA WIC ASSOCIATION | 3120 FREEBOARD DR. #101 WEST SACRAMENTO, CA 95691 | PHONE: 916-572-0700