Protect Immigrant Families
Families emigrating to the U.S. are experiencing uncertain times on many fronts. The Trump Administration has proposed changes to regulations that would expand the public charge test. This test evaluates the likelihood that immigrants will depend on government benefits when they apply for an adjustment of legal status, such as a visa, green card, or legal permanent residency. Although WIC is still exempt, the proposal would expand this test to include SNAP, Section 8 housing, Medicaid, and Medicare Part D. If implemented, this change stands to harm the food security, healthcare access, and wellbeing of immigrant and mixed-status families.
What can you do?
- Stay informed!
- Read the proposed rule here.
- Explore resources in multiple languages and up-to-date news from the Protecting Immigrant Families Coalition.
- Get resources for WIC staff and participants on Public Charge as well as increased ICE presence around WIC clinics and legal resources from National WIC Association.
- Tap into resources at Food Research Action Center, including a detailed toolkit for diverse stakeholders.
- Tell your story! Send stories about immigrant families who have withdrawn from WIC services due to immigration fears to Sarah at CWA or Brian at NWA.
- Subscribe to CWA’s Flash e-news for further updates.
HEALTHY FAMILIES...STRONG COMMUNITIES...BRIGHT FUTURES!
CALIFORNIA WIC ASSOCIATION | 3120 FREEBOARD DR. #101 WEST SACRAMENTO, CA 95691 | PHONE: 916-572-0700