Farm2WIC Resources for Local WIC Agencies
Is your local market authorized to accept the FVC? Find out here. If it’s not, use this flyer to reach out to your local market manager(s). Contact State WIC for more information or to request a training for growers in your area: www.wicfarmers.ca.gov or 916-928-8513
Once your local markets accept the FVC as well as FMNP, consider using the resources below to promote this shopping option with the families you serve. (Note that you can use WIC funds to print or purchase materials; consult your Contract Manager for approval.)
- Participant Flyers (half-sheet; print English on one side, Spanishon the other)
- Info Sheet for WIC Staff – talking points useful when chatting with interested families about this shopping option.
- Farm2WIC logo – feel free to use the CWA-designed logo in your own promotional and educational materials. Contact CWA if you need other file formats.
- Market Locator Magnets – Shoppers can write their local market info (location, days and times) on these thin magnets and post on the frig or a metal cabinet as a reminder.
Need more ideas? Materials from 2018 conference presentations and webinars may be helpful:
- New Ways to Increase Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Access (Denise Gee, Magdalene Louie, Maryann Miernicki, Priti Rane)
Farm Bill Update (CFPA/Call)
Addressing Food Insecurity in Prenatal Women (San Francisco WIC/Rane)
Increasing FMNP Check Redemption (American Red Cross WIC/Miernicki)
Increasing Food Security & Fruit/Veg Access in LA County (PHFE/Gee)
- CalFresh & WIC: Better Together! (webinar)
Nutrition Education – to promote and educate participants about purchasing, storing, and preparing seasonal produce, the following resources may be useful:
- Ten Facts about Fruits & Vegetables and Ten Safety Tips of Handling Fruits & Vegetables, from Produce for Better Health Foundation:
Original file with space for logos (PDF)
NEW! English file for customizing (MS Word)
NEW! Spanish file for customizing (MS Word) – thanks to Merced County CAA WIC for translating!
- Fruit & Vegetable Fact Sheets/Posters, plus What’s In Season Now posters for three CA counties, in English & Spanish, from UC Cooperative Extension
- NEW! California Farmers’ Market Cookbook , in English & Spanish, developed with and available for purchase from Nutrition Matters.
- NEW! Seasonal Food Guide: produce seasonality by region/state, plus information about each fruit or vegetable’s history, nutrition, storage, food preparation, recipes, and more!
HEALTHY FAMILIES...STRONG COMMUNITIES...BRIGHT FUTURES!
CALIFORNIA WIC ASSOCIATION | 3120 FREEBOARD DR. #101 WEST SACRAMENTO, CA 95691 | PHONE: 916-572-0700