Educate Your Leaders
WIC protection and support at the federal level depends on local, state, and federal policymakers having a working understanding of the support and value of WIC to their constituents. When you work with WIC, it’s easy to forget that not everyone is as familiar as you are with the program. Use your voice and expertise to help legislators understand the work you do and the needs and issues important to the communities you and they serve. Educating leaders in this way is not lobbying; it is public issues education and every WIC employee and supporter can do this!
Speaking up for WIC is as easy as 1-2-3:
- Identify the leaders who need to hear about the benefits of WIC. They could be local elected officials, community leaders, or state and federal legislators.
- Make a phone call, send an email, or visit their office to say how WIC benefits families and your community. Need inspiration? Borrow these tips and tools from WIC Ambassadors.
- Thank your leaders for listening and follow up on any action items.
What Can I Do Right Now?
WIC Employees: Become a WIC Ambassador!
Want to be the voice of WIC in Sacramento and Washington DC? Become a WIC Ambassador as part of a team for the Congressional District where you live or work. Learn about the policy objectives of the California WIC Association and the California WIC Program so you can educate your legislators in the ways WIC benefits their constituents. You are a subject matter expert providing WIC program education; this is not lobbying!
As a WIC Ambassador you will:
- Become involved in WIC education efforts at a local, state and federal level.
- Build and maintain relationships with California’s Congress, State Assembly and Senate members.
- Communicate with Members of Congress, Assembly, and Senate and/or their staffs at key times for WIC and CWA.
- Respond to Action Alerts by emailing or calling legislators or other WIC agencies.
- Attend CWA’s Capitol Visits in Sacramento and NWA’s Leadership Conference in Washington, DC, when possible.
- Communicate regularly with CWA Staff and Legislative Team regarding CWA’s advocacy priorities.
HEALTHY FAMILIES...STRONG COMMUNITIES...BRIGHT FUTURES!
CALIFORNIA WIC ASSOCIATION | 3960 INDUSTRIAL BLVD, SUITE 500 WEST SACRAMENTO, CA 95691 | PHONE: 916-572-0700